7Zip is a free and open-source file archiver.
- High compression ratio in 7z format thanks to LZMA and LZMA2 algorithms
- Compression to 7z format is 30-70% better than to ZIP format
- Compression to ZIP and GZIP formats in 7Zip is 2-10% better than in most other ZIP archivers
- Password-protected archives with strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- File Manager
- Command-line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Translated to 87 languages
Supported file formats
Packing and unpacking:
- Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2016, 2012, 2008, 2003, 2000, NT.
- macOS (CLI alpha version)
- Linux (CLI alpha version)
Most of the code is available under the GNU LGPL license.
Some parts of the code are available under the BSD 3-clause License.
Also, there is unRAR license restriction for some parts of the code.